Everything it takes to graduate
Breakthrough is a college degree completion program, and also an aspiration, achievement and dream realization program. Breakthrough provides everything it takes for students from disadvantaged communities to see themselves and their world differently. It shows them how to set goals, build the skills and knowledge they need to realize those goals and gain the confidence to achieve their best vision of what’s possible for themselves.
The most powerful force in society is a child with a dream and the nurturing, knowledge and means to achieve that dream. We cannot afford to waste even one child’s dream. No child can do it alone—Breakthrough surrounds each child with a community that encourages and supports them until they cross the graduation stage.
Outcomes that change lives
Each year Breakthrough Central Texas admits a new class of 280 6th graders from Austin ISD, Manor ISD, and Del Valle ISD. In 2017, we will serve more than 1,425 students in grades six through college.
- 99% of Breakthrough students graduate high school on time, compared to 83% of Central Texas low-income students
- 87% enroll directly into college, compared to 44% of Central Texas low-income students
- 100% complete a financial aid application, compared to 44% of Central Texas low-income students
- 90% of students stay in Breakthrough from 6th grade through college
- Students participating in the Breakthrough program graduate from college at four times the rate of other low-income high school graduates
– Sonia Martinez, Breakthrough Parent