One Breakthrough Can Change Everything
The Hard Reality
The Situation in Central Texas
- Central Texas has the lowest college graduation rate in the state of Texas for low-income students.
- Just 8% or 632 middle school students from low-income communities in the Central Texas region go on to earn post-secondary degrees.
- Low parental educational attainment predicts persistent poverty for children more than any other factor, including single parenthood or unemployment.
- Nine in 10 of the new jobs created last year in the U.S. have gone to college graduates.
- Austin is ranked as the 1 city in America for job seekers. Yet, one out of five adults in Central Texas cannot read or write well enough to fill out a job application.
A proven, three-dimensional model for academic success and personal success
To help students overcome the unfair systemic barriers to post-secondary educational achievement, we use a customized and comprehensive approach that includes coaching and mentoring, out-of-school learning experiences, and a long-term commitment. From middle school to high school to college through college graduation, we are there every step of the way. Along the way, our students gain the leadership skills needed to navigate an increasingly complex world and the confidence to lead productive and meaningful lives.
The Foundation of Our Model
Our proven model continues to produce more and more graduates as we expand our partner network across the region with school districts, colleges, universities and employers. At the foundation of our model, you will find a driving motivation and achievement in the minds of our students as they pursue their college education – growth mindset. Carol Dweck’s concept of “Growth Mindset,” suggests the idea that we can grow our brain’s capacity to learn and solve problems. When our students believe they can achieve something, they understand that effort makes them stronger; therefore putting in that extra effort and time leading to higher achievement.
The Breakthrough Experience Generates 7X the numbers of graduates
At every grade level, our students outpace their peers on critical milestones, including school attendance, grades and college entrance exams.
of our students graduate from high school on time, compared to 66% of their peers from low-income communities.
enroll directly into college, compared to 41% of similar peers in Central Texas
the rate of high school graduates go on to earn a college degree, compared to similar peers